Traffic Accident Compensation

Victim Of An Untraced / Uninsured Driver

Have you or anyone you know been involved in a road accident?

In the event you decide to make a claim for compensation for an incident involving an untraced or uninsured driver, your claim will be handled quickly and efficiently, but also with sensitivity. We understand how hard suffering an injury through no fault of your own can be, and the potential affect it can have on the lives of you and your family.

Claiming As A Victim Of An Untraced / Uninsured Driver

We specialise in claims involving uninsured or untraced motorists across the UK.

Many people believe that if a car is uninsured then you have no claim against the driver. Fortunately this is not the case in the UK.

There is still a way you can obtain rightful compensation but the process can be more complicated than claiming directly from an insurer. The Motor Insurers Bureau (or MIB) is an industry led organisation set up to compensate victims of accidents involving uninsured or untraced motorists.

The initial objective for the MIB was to compensate innocent parties for personal injury. Now they also deal with property damage claims (vehicle damage etc).

The number of people caught driving without insurance has increased by almost a fifth in the last three years. This means that there are around 1.7 million uninsured drivers on our roads today (1 in 12 of all road users) which adds around £40 to the average annual motor insurance premium. The odds on you having an accident with an uninsured motorist is therefore far higher than you might expect. New police powers allow for vehicles to be impounded if they are proven to have no insurance cover, but progress is slow and the numbers of uninsured vehicles on our roads continue to increase.

So what happens when you are involved in such an accident and what should you do to protect your interests?

What you should do after a road accident with an uninsured driver

You may or may not have been able to record the registration number of the responsible party’s vehicle. Try to record details of any witnesses who could be crucial to your claim.

Report the case to the police if they are not already aware of the accident. This is of great importance to the MIB when the claim reaches them.

Ensure that you receive medical attention if you have suffered injuries in the accident.

If possible – take photos of the accident scene (or ask a friend to do so) to assist with any liability dispute.

Obtain a repair estimate on your vehicle. An engineer will probably inspect the damage at some point during the claim but an estimate provides a useful guide for repair costs. Please note: The MIB will only deal with repair costs if the other vehicle is identified or tracked.

Consider instructing a specialist MIB claims lawyer.

MIB explained – more information about handling hit and run or uninsured claims

Child victims of hit and run drivers now have until their 21st birthday to bring a claim. This brings them in line with the standard civil procedure set out in the Limitation Act 1980.

The MIB operate two “schemes” known as the Uninsured Drivers Agreement(which concerns accidents with drivers who have no valid insurance) and the Untraced Drivers Agreement (which deals with hit and run cases). Because these claims can be complicated it is important that an MIB specialist solicitor deals with your case to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.

There are certain rules to comply with that differ from normal claims involving insurers and it is vital that your personal injury claim lawyers are well versed in dealing with the MIB schemes. We have a panel of MIB specialists who can help you with any claim involving “Hit and Run” driver road accidents or those involving people with no insurance.

Anyone suffering an injury in such an accident can and should make a claim for compensation. The MIB will deal with your case but it is strongly recommended that you instruct a specialist solicitor to help you with the claim. Contact our accident claim helpline today and let us provide you with the advice that you need.

Summary – The MIB is a much needed outlet for innocent accident victims. Negotiating claims with them can be tough and the complexities involved with the various agreement rules must be properly understood and adhered to. It is strongly recommended that you only use only experienced MIB solicitors to handle claims of this nature. NOTE – the MIB Untraced Drivers agreement (relating to hit & run accidents) involves different rules and has a limitation on legal fees. We charge 25% inc of vat for all Untraced (Hit & Run) claims. Please be aware of its distinction from the Uninsured Drivers agreement discussed here.

The worst areas for this kind of offence (according to the British Insurance Brokers Association are east London, Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham.

Increase Your Chances Of A Successful Claim

The following steps are important for increasing the chances of success for your motorcycle claim:

  • Contact the emergency services. Police will take witness statements and be made aware of all the details of the accident.
  • You must report the claim to the police within 2 weeks of the incident
  • Make sure you are checked for injuries by an ambulance paramedic.
  • If possible and safe to do so, take photos of the area where the accident happened.
  • Try and get some information on the other party (Registration, Contact Details)

Leave a Reply